Friday, August 24, 2012

a sophomOre in college who still can't spell!


So... it is time to start my sophomore year of college... how weird is that?! (And to be honest... I had to look up how to spell sophomore... who knew it was sophOmore not sophmore… me I guess! pahaha) Any who, lately I have been really looking at myself. I have been really trying to make me a better person, someone that I can be proud of at all times. I am so grateful for the opportunity I had this summer to be an EFY counselor. At the moment of being a counselor, I didn’t see the impact that it had on me. Now being away from it, I see the changes that it made in my life. Because of EFY, I now say more sincere prayers every night. I read my scriptures every night and I actually look forward to it and I learn something new. I know that when I do read my scriptures, I can truly see a difference in my life, I feel closer to my Savior. I hope I helped those youth I was over to come closer to Christ! I know I did!
I am also grateful for the time that I had to spend with the youth at EFY. It opened my eyes! I don’t know how many parents of teenagers read my blog. But I hope that if you are a parent of a teenager, you pay close attention to this part. I know that it is hard sometimes to see the good that your teenage daughter or son is doing, all you can think about at the time is how they won’t wake up in the morning for seminary/school, or that fight you had with them last night about curfew. Trust me, I know how it feels now! I dealt with those crazy teenagers for two weeks! And I also remember the stupid things I did when I was a teenager! But I can honestly say, that the youth are amazing! After two weeks with 500+ youth and spending most of my time with a total 72 of them, I can honestly say I saw things and heard things that you as parents would be so proud of! The willingness they have to serve others amazed me! The temptations and trials they face daily at school surprises me, I swear it is already worst than what I dealt with when I was in high school. They are strong, NEVER give up on them! They trying to do their best even when it seems like they aren't.
Rexburg, ID
Lawrence, KS
Now, for the youth that read my blog, if you went to EFY or not, I hope you are continuing to “arise and shine forth” every day at school! For those who went to youth conference, girls camp, and/or EFY I hope you remember those feelings you had when you went! And if you don’t, pray! You will remember. Know that you are closer to your Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ than you think! You know them! Know that you know this gospel! Yes, there is always more to learn about it, but you know more than you think! Always strive to be better than you were yesterday! The lord hears your prayers! And he will answer them! Sometime we are asked to do things we do not want to from the Lord, do them! It will be hard, but it will be worth it!  I know that high school is hard some times, NEVER lower your standards for friends and especially for that cute boy or girl, IT IS NOT WORTH IT! You deserve friends that lift you up, not down. (cliché… I know! But it’s so true!)
Any way, sorry for that ramble! Sorry for no funny or embarrassing story! The only thing I can think of is today when my roommate and I were driving back from the store I sang to people as we drove by them, “HEY, I JUST MET YOU, AND THIS IS CRAZY, BUT HERE’S MY NUMBER, SO CALL ME, MAYBE?” Ya… I’m pretty sure I made this one guy’s day the best cause he smiled when we drove by him and I sang that to him, maybe he was hoping to get my number to actually call me and say “YOU DON’T KNOW YOU’RE BEAUTIFUL!”… Too bad I already know I am beautiful and plus you don’t need my number hehe (I know, we are all tired of these songs… but EFY dances… they make those over played songs fun AND addictive!)
Two more weeks of summer and then it will be time for sophOmore year of college to start :) Time for classes everyday, late nights talking with Janae, zumba with Lucy and more stories to be added to "The Life of Alyssa Marie!" Stay tuned, because knowing my life, the embarrassing and funny stories will continue into this year of school at BYU-I! Life is tough at times but I say it all the time, and it is true, LOVE LIFE and you will never regret the moments, the stories, or the trials that make up your life! 
-love life

p.s. I hope it doesn’t bug you guys, but I am going to write more about what is going on in my life to the addition of my funny stories :) 
 p.s.s. I forgot to say, I ABSOLUTELY love my parents! They are the most amazing parents ever! I cannot thank them enough for all that they do for me! I love you Mom and Dad! 


No comments:

Post a Comment